The information that we collect from you is held in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and in particular, the Privacy Principles contained in that Act. We may collect your personal information in a variety of ways, including via customer promotions, surveys, information you’ve provided to us, emails, faxes, recordings of telephone calls, or via any other communication we may have had with you.
We may use any personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- Confirming your identity;
- Administering your account;
- Supplying you with energy and other products or services we have agreed;
- Improving our customer service, including monitoring and following up queries and complaints;
- Improving our online services and website;
- Informing you or contacting you regarding our products, brands, special offers, publications and other promotions we think you may be interested in;
- Carrying out credit checks, debt collection, and the provision of credit information;
- Assisting other energy retailers with their credit enquiries;
- Commissioning a market research company to carry out a study on our behalf;
- Carrying out our responsibilities, including complying with any requirements in accordance with statute, or industry rules and regulations;
- Enforcing our rights under our contract with you, or our arrangements with the network operator or metering company relevant to your premises;
- Enabling the network operator and/or the trust or co-operative that owns the network operator to pay a benefit to you (for example, your network rebate) including where they are required to maintain electoral rolls of trust beneficiaries; and
- Carrying out our responsibilities under the Guidelines on Arrangements to Assist Low Income and Vulnerable Consumers ("Guideline"), including discussing your account with Work and Income, District Health Boards, private health providers or any other social agency or service providers as necessary under the Guideline.
Security of your information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate and stored in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons for legitimate business purposes. We shall not keep such information for longer than the purposes for which it may be lawfully used.
Disclosure of your information
We will not disclose, sell, distribute or share your personal information with third parties, except in accordance with the strict exceptions contained in the Privacy Act, or where authorisation has been given by you for that disclosure. In order to fulfill the purposes listed above, we will not disclose your information to anyone except:
- To a person who is a joint customer on your account;
- Energy related companies that provide us services including, but not limited to, any network operator, and/or the trust or co-operative that owns the network operator, and any metering company relevant to your premises;
- The Electricity Commission, the Commerce Commission, the Electricity and Gas Complaints Commissioner Scheme, or any other industry regulator or complaints scheme;
- Our contractors and suppliers including, but not limited to, any market research company we may contract with;
- Credit risk assessment agencies/debt collection agencies;
- Other energy retailers; and
- Our legal and financial advisors.
Additionally, if you have told us, or it appears to us, that you are reliant on energy to prevent a clear threat to your health and well being or you have mains powered critical medical equipment we may disclose your information to the following:
- Work and Income, District Health Boards and other social agencies; and
- Private health providers.
Where we disclose your personal information to the parties listed above, this will be on a strictly confidential basis.
Access to your information
You may request an inspection, update or correction of the personal information we hold about you by putting the request in writing to our Privacy Officer at:
Private Bag 3131
Waikato Mail centre
Facsimile: (09) 5394633
Changes to this policy